SteveG wrote:
Steps to use FPC svn build within Lazarus (Windows)

1 - Have a current Lazarus working binary installed (requires access to GNU utilitys within the c:\lazarus\fpc\?.?.?\bin\i386-win32 folder)

2 - Set system Path to include c:\lazarus\fpc\?.?.?\bin\i386-win32

3 - Download SVN copy from FPC (http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk)
  - save to local folder (eg. c:\FPC)

4 - Build FPC
  - cd \FPC
  - make clean all
  - cd compiler
  - make cycle
  - cd ..
  - make install INSTALL_PREFIX=c:\directory\of\your\choice (eg. c:\pp)
  - run c:\pp\fpmkcfg.exe (to create fpc.cfg)
just to be pedantic, fpcmkcfg.exe   (note first c in fpcmkcfg)
Isn't it in the bin\<target> subdirectory under the INSTALL_PREFIX dir ?
you can run fpcmkcfg.exe -d basepath=c:\directory\of\your\choice,
so you shouldn't have to do 5.
Wouldn't the basepath usually be the "grandparent" dir of the one in which fpcmkcfg lives ? In which case, this would be a useful switch to add to fpcmkcfg ?

5 - edit c:\pp\fpc.cfg to incorporate pathings
  - all non-commented lines beginning with '-Fu' and '-FD'
    for example
 '-Fu/units/$FPCTARGET/' -> -'Fuc:\pp\/units/$FPCTARGET/'

6 - within Lazarus / Enviroment / Environment options
    compiler path        = c:\pp\fpc.exe
    FPC source directory = c:\FPC (as suits your SVN download)
make install also makes a copy of the source under the compiler directory, in this case c:\pp.
Is one preferable to the other ?
    Make path         = c:\lazarus\fpc\?.?.?\bin\i386-win32\make.exe

7 - Do FULL clean and build of Lazarus

NOTES -
I believe these steps worked for me, but needs testing.

Are the GNU utilitys available seperately as a group/package, or a list of necessary files available ?
(this would change Steps 1 & 2 & 6)

Good Question - I've been meaning to ask this too..
Is it possible to have the fpmkcfg.exe program create the pathing within the cfg file (saves editing) - or did I do something wrong here ?
(this would eliminate Step 5 completely)

see above
If somebody(s) could help / verify all of this, I will add it to the wiki.

cheers,
John Sunderland