Am 15.01.2008 um 18:35 schrieb Marco van de Voort:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:28:12PM +0200, Albert Zeyer wrote:

I've no idea what you mean by that remark.

Linux became popular because it was/is easy to install. (OK, not gained by
the Linux kernel developers itself but by the community around.)

Linux got a lot of funding due to hype. And the hype was mostly around the "single student" Linus cult, which was simply more marketable than a multi
person core of dedicated but relatively colourless professionals.

FreeBSD not, though from the quality point of view it's better.

It didn't have the hype. You have to have a motivation to start installing
in the first place.

Yes that was one hype. But the reason to be so wide spread is mainly that it was easy to install and that it (often) works better in comparison with FreeBSD.

Also you see what you get by popularity: More support.

Why would you not install FreeBSD instead of Linux?

Mostly it's because of a non-supported feature or a hardware. And that is mainly because of the smaller community and less support by companies. And that is mainly because of less popularity and less support.

Or perhaps it's also because it seems too complicated instead of using Linux. And then you are also again at the point I wanted to point out.

Or generally, some random person, why would he install Linux instead of FreeBSD? Probably because he has never heard of FreeBSD.

All I wanted to say is: Popularity is important (at least gives much advantages). And easiness will increase popularity.