Christian U. wrote:
Marc Weustink schrieb:
Cesar Liws Gmail wrote:
I Agree with you Fabio, and also it can be implemented in Lazarus:

1)      Debug Path – LCL with Debug info

2)      Release Path – LCL WITHOUT Debug Info

What if I want other options in my release ?
Assertions on/off or Rangechecking on/off ?
what has this todo with the lcl debugionfo ?

It has all to do with what kind of info/settings you want in your release build. There is more than debug info only

When Im writing my software I do not want to debug Lazarus, so why should I include 10MB of LCL debug Info in my .EXE?

Then when you release, run strip
NO its not possible to debug then anymore. i think this is sayed 10 times in this thread.

Yes, however after a release, your not developing on that release anymore. Your users are using it and don't need to debug. The unstripped version you keep to yourself, so you can debug yourself.

This thread is about stripping the debuginfos from LCL not from the user units.

So the lcl needs to be compiles with some option. What has that to do with project settings ? Nothing. It's how the lcl should be build once. IIRC this discussion started about that.
I agree that it would be a nice option to be able to choose between
  LCL  with/without debuginfo
  FCL  with/without debuginfo
  RTL  with/without debuginfo

OTOH, a debugger being able to use external symbols would solve it too.

See it as part of your release. Lazarus won't zip the exe for you neither. It wont make an installer. ect. etc.
So see it as part of a release process.
Its good to habe debuginfos in an release also for stack traces on exceptions and so on but no need for lcl debuginfo in an release exe...

You need them too if some error happens in the LCL (the LCL is not bugfree you know ?)

Marc