Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x000129d0 in SYSTEM_FPSYSCALL$LONGINT$$LONGINT ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000129d0 in SYSTEM_FPSYSCALL$LONGINT$$LONGINT ()
#1  0x00012e1c in SYSTEM_FPGETRLIMIT$LONGINT$PRLIMIT$$LONGINT ()
#2  0x0001eef8 in SYSTEM_CHECKINITIALSTKLEN$LONGWORD$$LONGWORD ()
#3  0x0001efbc in SYSTEM_init ()
#4  0x0001a7ec in fpc_initializeunits ()
#5  0x0000e668 in main () at gtk2query.pp:263

I tried something more. I compiled FPC without FPC_ARMEL, but tweaked init_settings.fputype:=fpu_soft in globals.pas so it would use soft fpu.

Now my testapp crashes on the first librarycall (how surprising), but passes the fpc_initializeunits (and manages to do some writeln). From this I assume syscalls in this case are correct and I guess there is some difference between syscall calling and library calling.

Marc