> FWIW, I use XN Resource Editor to create my main form icon to show in windows
> and that seems to work fine (as does windres for creating the resource) so I
> wonder if its anything to to do with using windres or not ??

Ok, the last difference that I see from here between your project and
the example is the icon file. That shouldn't cause any problem, but
just in case try to use the .ico file from the example on your project
and see if it works.

Also try to compile and run the example project. Those things should
put the problem on a corner.

Anyway, it's just a question of logic, if the example works, how is
your program different?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho