Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
Hello all,

with similiar concerns, like mentioned below by Jan-Peter, I talked some months ago with Geog Greve from FSF europe. He expressed his support in the question of a lawsuit based on software patents. This would turn a patent claim into a highly political action. Further I am not shure, what this implies in curt. So I am cc'ing him here.

As long as lcms deals with the ICC spec it is entyrely an software issue.

Actually, the ICC Specs have big undefined holes. E.g. for converting CMYK to CMYK and handling of the black channel. I donĀ“t know all the features of lcms v.1.15 in detail. But it seems, that it contains useful features, which are ahead of the ICC Specs. This is exactly the point, where the ice is going thin, and patents are going to be an important issue.

The same for some features in argyllCMS for calculating DeviceLink-profiles with enhanced features for CMYK2CMYK.

So may be an "opencolor foundation" should/could serve for both littleCMS, argyllCMS and all softwares, which are making use of it ?

(if Marti and Graeme would like such idea !!)

Such "opencolor foundation" could be a member at the free software foundation for legal issues and a honorary member at the ICC. This would it allow better to influence the ICC to enhance their specs, that open, cross-plattform and vendorindependent colormanagement is possible without having the fear of patent issues.

If Graeme and Marti say, that such a idea should be discussed more in deatail, we should move this discussion to the OpenICC mailinglist and the OpenICC wiki

:-) Jan-Peter

Of course as seen with the SCO versus ibm lawsuit, a company loosing ground may try to get money by curt. But I am in doubt EFI is able to win such a lawsuit, at least not in europe.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann