Alain,

currently lcms does proofing without being influenced by the whitepoint in
the proofing profile. lcms seems allways to expect
INTENT_RELATIVE_COLORIMETRIC and dont triggers if get tould tould to use
INTENT_ABSOLUTE_COLORIMETRIC as proofing rendering intent.
The INTENT_ABSOLUTE_COLORIMETRIC as proofing intent should consider the
media whitepoint of the proofing profile. But it does not - at lest not in
my tests.
The effect would be similiar to switching on the paperwhite and black
simulation in photoshop. One can easily reach the same by doing all involved
transformations by hand. It looks identical (allmost) to photoshop
results.

About using black simulation only:
This is not a must in my opinion. But as many things in colourmanagement
it is a question of taste due to complexity of decissions.
My impression here is: to not dull the view further, by using black
simulation only, gives some older screens advantage over bright standard
D50 illuminations. Modern LCD's are bright enough to minimise the
difference between soft-and hardproof under D50 normlighting conditions.

paper white simulation:
Paperwhite simulation is available only together with black simulation in
PS. This would be nice to have in lcms in one step - using the proofing
profiles media whitepoint with proofing intent
INTENT_ABSOLUTE_COLORIMETRIC as described above.

Anyway the results for printing are impressive. Many thanks to Marti.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas