Hi,

Keep in mind color transforms are a loosy process--you may loss information
each time you apply a color transform. In this way, it is generally better
do the color management at the last stage. I.e., load the image using its
native
representation and do the conversion to monitor space at display time.

That is, unless you plan to edit the image. In this case, you probably want
do the image processing in some well-known space. This is the whole point
of workspaces. My recomendation would be to avoid workspaces unless you
really needs that.

For untagged images, you have several options. One would be to let end user
select the default colorspace. Many devices (printers, etc) operates in such
way.
Otherwise, you could assume untagged data is in some default colorspace.
Reasonable defaults  would be sRGB (cmsCreate_sRGBProfile) for RGB and
SWOP or ISO coated for CMYK.

Regards
Marti Maria
The littleCMS project