From: "Paul Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Lets say I load a JPEG with an embedded profile. Do I transform FROM
> that profile to another one before I do any manipulation to the image,
> or is it safe to leave the data "as is" read from the file until I'm
> ready to DISPLAY the image, then transform from the JPEG's profile to
> the user-selected profile (ie. Adobe sRGB, Apple RGB, ColorMatch, etc)?
>
> The same goes for a JPEG WITHOUT an embedded profile. How/when does it
> get transformed? Do I just create a "null" transform for it?
>
> I've already written code to extract an embedded profile from a JPEG,
> and I have a menu for selecting the desired display profile. I just need
> to know where to do the actual transform.

Here's how Photoshop does it, and I suspect it's standard.

Edit the color numbers of the stored image.  Use the image's embedded
profile as the source profile, and your display profile as the output
profile when creating your transform.  If an image contains no embedded
profile, assign one; sRGB is probably the logical choice.

Optionally, you may provide a separate facility to convert or assign an
already opened image a different profile.  It's also nice to allow the user
to specify a default color profile for images that do not have an embedded
profile.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/