14.03.2016 12:28, Erich Titl пишет:
> Hi Andre
>
> Am 12.03.2016 um 19:40 schrieb Andrew:
>> Hi.
> ...>>
>>> Please let us know how you do a major kernel upgrade. If you write it
>>> down, you might see that there are unnecessaty steps or you may
>>> convince me that the diff files are valuable.
>>>
>> 1. Upgrade kernel version, copy configs,
> Will you have to generate the config files here using the diff files?
No, Just copy/rename config + cdiffs in repo in this step

> generate default (=i486) config
>
> How do you generate this one? According to one of your last mails it
> should already exist as Bering_KRELEASE_.config.

>> by generic procedure ('make oldconfig' is called), then - break process
>> on next arch.
> Note somewhere drivers (= kernel options) that should be
>> enabled in some specific arches (for ex., PCI-E cards drivers) if they
>> exists; usually - max 3-5 devices, or even none
> This is the manual intervention
Yes, of course. In other case we'll receive a lot of trash like
proximity/light sensors and a lot of missed useful drivers.
>> 2. Copy default config to repo
>> 3. Clean generated configs, run 'make build' again
>> 4. If I have some specific new drivers that must be enabled on some arch
>> - then I run 'make menuconfig' or edit config file manually (with 'make
>> oldconfig' to ensure that no additional options hapened), and then -
>> re-create cdiff.
> Another manual intervention on all of the arch files which will need to
> be generated from the diff files.
Yes. In other case you'll receive some kind of generic config.

>> 5. Try to make kernel configs for other archs (to ensure that no
>> arch-specific options added), if needed - enable some drivers manually,
>> and if config is changed - re-create cdiff
> You see here, you generate configs and recreate diffs, I don't think
> this step is necessary, but in the end the results should be the same,
> IHMO just too much work and could be avoidedd.
Ok, maybe you know easier way how to:
1. Enable per-platform driver set (including staging/experimental
drivers like WiFi ones - IMHO untested/partially working device is
better that non-working device), having same driver set across similar
platforms (for ex., x86_64 and i686)
2. Make strictly similar set of network-related features
(iptables/nftables module set and so on) across all archs
3. Have possibility to easily check which options differs between targets

> If we really could just work on the default config and the diff
> mechanism would allow us to upgrade all existing archs automatically
> then I would be all for it. But to me right now, this assumption appears
> to be wrong.
You may change 'make oldconfig' into 'make olddefconfig' in makefile,
and got same useless semi-generic configs for all archs/subarchs like in
your example.