Am 14.03.2016 um 13:32 schrieb Andrew:
> 14.03.2016 12:28, Erich Titl пишет:
>> Hi Andre
>>
>> Am 12.03.2016 um 19:40 schrieb Andrew:
>>> Hi.
>> ...>>
>>>>
>>> 1. Upgrade kernel version, copy configs,
>> Will you have to generate the config files here using the diff files?
> No, Just copy/rename config + cdiffs in repo in this step

Well, in the repository there are no config files, just the default and
cdiffs.

>> generate default (=i486) config
>>
>> How do you generate this one? According to one of your last mails it
>> should already exist as Bering_KRELEASE_.config.
>
>>> by generic procedure ('make oldconfig' is called), then - break process
>>> on next arch.
>> Note somewhere drivers (= kernel options) that should be
>>> enabled in some specific arches (for ex., PCI-E cards drivers) if they
>>> exists; usually - max 3-5 devices, or even none
>> This is the manual intervention
> Yes, of course. In other case we'll receive a lot of trash like
> proximity/light sensors and a lot of missed useful drivers.

OK, so you manually select/deselect new drivers in the default config
only, and the hope is that the diff files can take care of that. My only
concern here is, that the diff files do not appear to play nicely with
git rebase/merge, as those functions apply diffs to diffs.

..>
>> If we really could just work on the default config and the diff
>> mechanism would allow us to upgrade all existing archs automatically
>> then I would be all for it. But to me right now, this assumption appears
>> to be wrong.
> You may change 'make oldconfig' into 'make olddefconfig' in makefile,
> and got same useless semi-generic configs for all archs/subarchs like in
> your example.

True, it applies the default values to all new options, it does not need
manual intervention though. If we really can use cdiffs _without_
_touching_ them _after_ an upgrade, that would be beneficial.

cheers

ET