Trouble is present when install script installs data on pre-formatted
flash, or when it formats flash by itself?

When script formats flash - it sets root dir size to 1024, and all is
work OK.

When flash was formatted by calling mkfs.vfat w/o args - file copying
fails because rootdir becomes full.

 From other side, we may place packages in subdirectory, and there'll be
no troubles with FAT in future :)