Hi Andrew;

Am Donnerstag, 28. Juli 2016, 12:24:58 schrieb Andrew:
> Hi.
>
> I think that we should move root, config and maybe some other 'core'
> packages to initrd - to make it possible to run on tiny systems with
> small amount of RAM and available persistent ROM for permanently mounted
> initrd (like SOHO routers).

Looks almost like a packaging task, or am I wrong?
Do you expect space savings or just simplification?

I think the most important task for very small platforms is to get rid of
modules.sqfs.
E.g. the modules for rpi kernel is still 4.9MB, and of course it can be
reduced nect to zero, if decisions are made what devices will be supoorted and
what not - though rpi is still an somewhat open platform and with enough space
on the CF and RAM, so I'm not bothered too much; but for closed SOHO routers
this won't be acceptable.

Not shure if we should add it to 6.0.0 (for a beta), but if we do make steps
forward it could be at least for 6.1.0, which could be targeted until end of
year if things goes well.
Will you try in a new branch??

For 6.0.0 an issue with perf needs to be solved, may I ask you to have a look
at it first?

> Also, on beta release we should also freeze uClibc-ng version for this
> branch.

Agreed.

kp