Hi Andrew

Am 02.10.2016 um 19:58 schrieb Andrew:
> On 02.10.2016 20:45, Erich Titl wrote

:...
>> We need to find out if this is an issue for the majority of our users.
>> most of the drivers will probably just work as they work in standad
>> distros.
> This is issue for everybody who uses intel server cards in high-load
> applications.

Yes and this is why I asked if this was an issue for the _majority_

> Actually intel NIC card is the only available choice for high-troughput
> routing. Other cards have too high CPU usage, or starts to drop packets
> at 60-70% of bandwidth usage.

So on a Gbit card you would have a throughput of roughly 600 Mbit. For
most users and I said _most_ users they will never be able to buy that
much power.

And unless you have a massive parallel system you will have difficulties
to pass that much data through any kind of traffic management. I
observed issues in that aera, never at NIC level.

So - yes, if it isn't a home routing box,
> it uses Intel NIC.

Still the same question, is this an issue for the majority and therefore
a killer criterion? It might well be so, but I would like to know numbers.

I for once do not have any intel NICs in usage, but yes, I did use them
a few years back and might have been happy to have hight troughput, but
even then I never had a saturation issue at hand. YMMV

Still I would not consider it a killer criterion, but yes, if someone is
willing to put in the effort to overcome limitations in that area,
great. I understand that you are working in a high speed/throughput
environment and there I see of course the usefulness of having
specialized drivers, but I _guess_ the majority of our users are not
limited there. They have problems in the integration of some of our
packages as seen lately in the leaf-user list.

cheers and yes, please if you have spare time to integrate those
drivers, go for it.

ET