> You and initrd.txt both talk of pivot_root - but I
can't find the
> command anywhere.

It's in busybox. Read initrd.txt in kernel Doc for
instruction.

> Actually, Oxygen does NOT do this, as busybox is
entirely statically
> linked, and includes all applets as before.  Many of
the "necessities"
> of running a Linux system were split out until root.lrp
became as small
> as I could make it - it's under 350k now.

How big would be this same BBOX library dynamically
compiled against libc? The difference is the cost in term
of size.

> The only thing you mentioned that makes me think using
the initrd volume
> for normal work would be bad is that mention of tmpfs.
Will newer
> kernels use tmpfs instead of minixfs - or do they use
whatever you
> want?  How will that work?

As of today initrd fs can **only** be ext2 or minix. If
it could be tmpfs it would solve a lot of pbs...

> For Dachstein, it probably is - though I tend to think
that moving
> towards a minimalist root.lrp is a good idea.  Moving
towards a
> minimalist root.lrp isn't that much different than
moving towards a tiny
> boot loader.

I agree

> I thought POSIXness used sed extensively; does busybox
sed give all you
> need?

I am not sure. That is something to check.

> > c2b/ Split busybox in two pieces (but ***both***
> > dynamically linked) between initrd.lrp and root.lrp
>
> This means you need libc.so during boot (500k+) and
also means that
> "busybox --install" will conflict.  You also need to
track to binaries,
> maintain two versions (such as when you upgrade
busybox) and takes away
> a lot of nice otherwise "extra" commands that might be
nice during boot.

I am not sure it's that difficult. May be worth just
trying.

Jacques
Profitez de l'offre spéciale Tiscali Liberty Surf !
50% de temps en plus pendant 3 mois sur tous les forfaits Internet.

http://register.libertysurf.fr/subscribe_fr/signup.php3