Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > If I understand right, the steps are:
> >
> > 1. Create and compile a kernel of your choice.
> > 2. Create a Minix file system and populate it with the contents of
> > root.lrp
> > 3. Compress the Minix filesystem with gzip and put on disk as initrd.gz
> > 4. Modify linuxrc to run /sbin/init at the end
>
> I don't think this is the best way to solve this.  IMHO, it's better to have
> the kernel boot with root=[!ram0], which will get linuxrc running.  Linuxrc
> should then set the real root device to /dev/ram (or your tmpfs or ramfs
> device) by writing to /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev (see initrd.txt in the
> kernel Documentation directory).

How does this affect the steps I put forth?  I don't see that it does.

I had assumed that /linuxrc would just run; now you say that the "root"
parameter needs to point somewhere other than /dev/ram0 .  That's
alright, but that doesn't change the steps does it?

According to initrd.txt, it would appear that the usual way of doing
things is, at the end of /linuxrc, to pivot_root and then run init.

I was thinking one doesn't need to pivot_root at all - and the
documentation alludes to such situations.  Is there a problem if
pivot_root isn't used?

Is it right to say that pivot_root and /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
are both new to Linux 2.4?