Feature Requests item #506946, was opened at 2002-01-22 04:29
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=363751&aid=506946&group_id=13751

Category: Dachstein
Group: None

Initial Comment:
My wishes for "Dachstein":

Have a source tree in CVS from which one can build
the core packages. (initrd?, root, etc, modules, log)

Build support for multiple ramdisks into linuxrc.

Modify linuxrc to work without sed. This will reduce
size if we start using an initrd with statically
linked binaries. Personally I think Oxygen linuxrc is
cleaner and more readable, so perhaps we could make
it a bit like that one and steal a few ideas from it.

At least keep 2.2.x kernels as an option as 2.2
masquerading still seems to have better support for
difficult protocols like ipsec, directplay, msn
messenger to name a few. Also 2.2 kernels are
considerably smaller than 2.4 kernels.

Keep the possibility of a workable 1-floppy release.
This may force us to use an alternative c-library for
the core packages, and have glibc as an addon. (did I
say uClibc)

Create a pre-built 2.2.20 kernel.

Skip glibc 2.1.x as it will be autodated quite soon.

Generic update of all programs.

Replace the usual system programs with smaller
versions, or offer smaller ones as an alternative.
This will make it easier to keep evertything on 1
floppy. (dcron, udhcp, busybox ash)

When we switch to busybox ash: Remove the need for
getopts and exp from POSIXness/linuxrc and replace
them with busybox expr and getopt.

Replace every possible program with their busybox
equivalent.

Rewrite all initscripts so that these will work with
busybox start-stop-daemon once the busybox-unstable
branch becomes stable. (In fact it is quite stable
already I think) BB start-stop-daemon only accepts
short-style arguments like "-K" not the long style
ones like "--pid-file=".

Ship with some SSH version by default?

Web-based configuration? (mini_httpd + ssl?)

If possible builtin support for bandwidth managment
like Jacques' and Eric's release. With uClibc this
should fit on 1 floppy-disk.

Ewald Wasscher