See below.

At 07:11 PM 1/22/02 +0100, Ewald Wasscher wrote:
>Luis.F.Correia wrote:
[...]
>>If we drop support for the ancient glibc-2.0.7, will we still able to
>>use the floppy versions?
>>
>That will become a bit more difficult. I don't have any exact numbers,
>but I estimate that glibc 2.2.x will take around 225-250 kb more
>diskspace than glibc 2.0.7. That why I've been mentioning uClibc for the
>last few months. Unfortunately not all programs will compile
>out-of-the-tarball with uClibc, but I think enough programs do to build
>a decent base system for leaf. For some extra programs glibc will still
>be needed, but much of that fancy stuff probably won't fit on a floppy
>anyway.

Good answer, and I think one that can begin to guide the eventual decision.

At some point, LEAF-on-a-floppy should switch from glibc 2.0.7 to uClibc.
When? When the stuff that usually is included on actual floppy versions of
LEAF can run compiled against uClibc.

Looking at what *Stein and Oxygen floppies have historically included is a
good way to make concrete the terms "enough programs ... to build a decent
base system" versus "some extra programs".

To judge from the actual 1680 images I have looked at in the past, "enough"
needs to include the programs normally in about a half-dozen packages. From
*memory*, this is, I think, the core list:

        root.lrp (of course; including "ip")
        dhcp.lrp (the daemon)
        dhclient.lrp (for external dynamic connections
        pppoe.lrp (or however Ken packages it)
        ppp.lrp (for dialup connections and pppoe)
        sshd.lrp (for remote maintenance)
        dnscache.lrp (for DNS forwarding)
        weblet.lrp (for remote configuration/monitoring)

(I think all the add-in firewall packages are entirely script based so do
not depend on any particular version of the core library.)

I may have the details wrong, and I would encourage others to suggest
edditions to or deletions from this list. But I think discussing the cutover
in terms of actual packages is better than trying to decide whether "enough"
apps will work with uClibc or not.

In considering this issue, please remember that David has done some nice
work cutting glibc-2.2.x down to a size that can be used on Oxygen floppies.
We should not dismiss the possibility of additional work in this area. I'm
not getting a good sense form the uClibc list of how much the Lineo layoffs
(last summer) have slowed work on it, but I think we need to remain open to
all the plausible options.