On Sunday 22 September 2002 00:47, Eric B Kiser wrote:

> It seems that I am beginning to catch on. Zebra is looking for a
> newer version of libcrypto than what is being provided by libssl.lrp.
> So, that leaves me with two options;
>
>       [1] build an updated libssl.lrp
>       [2] compile my zebra package with libcrypto statically linked
>
> Michael suggested number [2], would anyone else care to voice an
> opinion on this? Does anyone else even see the need to have an
> updated libssl package? Just trying to gain a consensus and possibly
> some guidance before moving forward. Personally, I would like to
> eventually see ssh and zebra not using statically linked libraries.
> That is, of course, unless I can show that using the static libraries
> on zebra and ssl work out to take up less space than zebra+ssh+ssl
> packages.

I would agree that option [2] would likely be the better of the two
choices. You are about as far along with a Zebra/LEAF disk as
I was when thinking about something similar several months ago.
I know that Zebra isn't going to fit on a floppy, but SSL is a huge
package that could present problems as well as benefits in the
long run. Statically linking the library simply limits the drawbacks
to including the entire library.

It will work either way, but I would suggest drawing off of WISP-DIST
architecture, since you are going to end up with a non-floppy image.
This architecture adds several safety features not available with other
current LEAF variants. The bright side is that your probably not going
to have to worry about firewalling anything, just securing the router!
 ;-)
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!