Hello Charles,

> IIRC, the IPSec scripts don't try to load any modules unless IPSec
> support isn't already enabled.  I simply load all required modules at
> boot.  If you really want, you can add new modules to /etc/modules at
> runtime and simple "svi modutils" to load them.

There are other programs that depend on modules in the
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ directory. We don't use them yet but
modprobe/depmod and hotplug in combination with pcmcia kernel modules
all expect the modules in the standard directory.

> I understand the difference of opinion here, but would like to make one
> request:
>
> - Can the Bering crew make sure any code that mounts (and leaves
> mounted) a CD-ROM or other device containing modules be restricted to
> the modules package?  This would allow me (and anyone else who doesn't
> like permanently mounting the CD-ROM and symlinking to it) to replace
> just the modules package with a custom version.  I really don't want to
> have to run a hacked version of initrd to leave the CD-ROM unmounted.

Can you help us with a piece of code that can be added in modutils to
make it possible to mount a device containing modules? Or do you have
an other idea to keep the /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ directory
and mount/umount the modules device on request?

Eric Spakman
Member of the Bering-uClibc crew