Steve,

I'm thinking the problem is not with GPS or with modulo arithmetic. I'm in contact with Leo and others for the root cause or the scope of the problem as reported on twitter. I'll say more later.

Per the GPS ICD, when dt_LS == dt_LSF there is no leap second to speak of; not in recent past; not in near future. The 8-bit WN and DN fields are not applicable to a non event.

When dt_LS != dt_LSF you know there is a nearby leap second event. You then look at WN and DN to determine when. It could have been in the recent past, it could be in the near future, or even in progress. By "recent past" and "near future" I mean ±127 weeks (about ±2½ years).

Clearly this design means GPS cannot give indefinite past history of a previous leap second(s), nor indefinite future notice of a pending leap second(s). This is not a problem given how UTC is currently defined and managed. BIPM has a good track record of 6 months (~26 weeks) of notice. The official UTC spec is 1 month (~4 weeks) of notice so a 127 week GPS limit is more than adequate.

/tvb