Interesting that the reversal in direction for the first time in two
decades (maybe more?) is continuing.

I wonder if they will announce the cause of these adjustments.  i.e. a
specific hurricane or earthquake or interstellar solar radiation?

IERS' website leaves much to be desired.

I'd love to know, if there was some physics student on this list, how much
energy would it consume to physically alter the earth's rotation instead of
using leap seconds.  Yeah, moving the world sounds like a de-facto 'can't
be done' scenario.

But we're talking an extremely small difference in rotation over the course
of ten years.  If all aircraft landed (and used their brakes) in the same
direction, would that impart a measurable spin over the course of a
decade?  Could a few large gyros, operating continuously for a decade, even
out the spin?  Would their energy cost over that time be more than the cost
of the software bugs that leap seconds effervesce?