On Mon 2022-11-14T18:27:25+0000 Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:
> And with a 2035 deadline we might just get to see if our implementations
> of negative leap-seconds work before it is too late.
>
> Yes, it should have happened 20 years ago.

I believe I recently saw PHK ruminating that forward compatibility in
computing is at least as important as backward compatibility because
the next 30 years of software need to know where they are going.
The NYT article ends with Arias ruminating about how someday
there will have to be a leap minute or leap hour.
To have systems which will handle that eventuality we need to be
openly considering the goals and implementation for that already.

--
Steve Allen                    <s...@ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855