Ethical employers on Brunswick St  (recipients of Unite sticker)

Retro
Black Cat
Tea Too
Provincial Hotel
Holy Sheet!
Evelyn Hotel
Boscastle
Hunters and Gatherers
Vegie Bar
Marios
Gizmo Gifts
Toxic
Cafe Nova
Fitzroy Lotto
Madame Sou Sou
Lees Mart
OTC
Cape Lounge
Red Tongue Cafe
Bakers
Lucky Day Lotto
Brunswick St. Bookstore
Basilisk Bookshop
Labour in Vain
Douglas and Hope
Bangla Curry Cafe
Gutz Cafe
PG Printmaker Gallery
Spinach Bar and Cafe
Don Vincenzo
Viet Rose
Brunswick St. Foodstore
Sister Ray
Spinach Cafe
Planet Cafe
Sila Espresso Bar

Bosses on Brunswick St that we cannot confirm stick to at least one of
the following: minimum legal health and safety standards, pay award
wages, pay correct superannuation, discriminate against workers choosing
to join a union and/or run unpaid trial work:

Endis
Hideout
My Chemist
Heading Out Hairdressers
Greenstore
Viva Zapatas
Cleanskin Kings Bottleshop
Red Rice
Bar Open
Akari 177
Zetta Florence
The Shoe Fitz
Aesops
7/11
Ghetto
Lounge Cafe
Shag
Perseverance
Kebabs, Felafel, Finger Food
Rhumbaralla's Cafe
Joe's Garage
Pane Provincial
Swimwear Centre
The Colonial Inn

Let's stop the rip off of casuals!
UNITE is the new campaign fighting for the rights of casual workers,
starting with the shopping strip along Brunswick St. Fitzroy.
Australia has the second highest rate of casualisation in the world with
over a quarter of our workforce being casual workers. Casuals don't
receive basic entitlements like sick leave, holiday pay, leave loading,
or redundancy pay.

Bosses have the luxury of hiring and firing at random, often keeping
someone on as a 'trial' for a short period then terminating them to
employ someone else that can be given the same treatment.

There is no notice requirements for casual workers, they can be
terminated at any time. Applications for loans and credit cards will
more often than not be turned down, as casual workers are not seen by
banks as being able to keep up regular payments. With the current terms
of casual work, they are probably right.

Casual work is bad enough without dodgy bosses ripping them off even
more. So we are asking employers if they:

1) Comply with basic occupational health & safety laws (1985 Act)
2) Have equal pay for equal work
3) Provide pay slips and a clear breakdown of casual loading
4) Have no 'free trial work'
5) Don't victimise workers wanting to join a union
6) Adhere to anti-discrimination laws

Those bosses who do the right thing will get a sticker to display on
their business. Let's see what bosses refuse to meet the most basic
legal requirements for their workers.

If you have information on a dodgy boss - don't let him/her get away
with it! Let us know (anonymously if you wish). But we urge everyone to
get involved with UNITE in the struggle against dodgy bosses!

To dob in a boss, to get more information on your rights or to help
fight the problem by participating in our campaign, contact UNITE by
sending us a letter to PO Box 1015 Collingwood 3066, by emailing us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or:

Phone THE UNITE hotline on (03) 9639 9111

OTHER USEFUL CONTACTS:
JOBWATCH, an employment rights legal center, Level 10, 21 Victoria
Street, Melbourne. Help line: (03) 9662 1933 or 1800 331 617
FOR YOUR CORRECT PAY-RATE: Ph:1300 363 264 or go to: www.wagenet.gov.au

.