Thanks for the tip. I obviously didn't think that far (haven't gotten as far as exporting anything yet). But how can I then distinguish between 'Had a Godfather' and "Became a godfather"...

As in "The Godfather of Baby was John" and "John became the godfather of Baby"... when you export those two, wouldn't there be a mix up since both use the Godfather field?
----- Original Message ----
From: C.G. Ouimet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Monday, 14 August, 2006 11:17:36 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Godfather / Godmother event

I am no GEDCOM expert but ...

I believe Godfather and Godmother are standard GEDCOM tags but
Godchild isn't. Correct?

Technically Godfather/Godmother accomplish the same thing as
Godchild: "His Godfather was so and so" vs "He was a Godchild of so
and so". Both approaches work equally well within Legacy whether the
godparents are in the file or not. However, the use of non standard
Legacy tags will cause issues when the file is exported for use in
another genealogy program.

My 6.5 cents ...