-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of steven
perkins
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:17 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: DNA research: was Re: [LegacyUG] The Americanisation of Legacy?

Dave:

I run 10 DNA studies with over 250 participants.  We need the DNA part.
If you are not going to use it, don't, but I certainly will.
Nearly 70,000 people have been tested by one commercial company.
Sorenson Molecular Genetics Foundation is testing another 100,000 people
and the National Geographic Society is working on a similar project.
England has just announced the goal of testing one half-million people
for medical purposes.  I believe you will find DNA testing for genealogy
will grow to be important in your future genealogy research.

I am very interested in your and others comments on the perception of
DNA as "intrusive".  I can only see that if you are following a policy
of never acknowledging adoptions within your family.  Even without DNA
testing, we are always faced with a question of discretion in the
handling of non-parental events.  What makes DNA so much more
"intrusive" than our other genealogical research that you would not
consider using it?

Thanks for reading.

Steven C. Perkins