June,
Perhaps this is something to request an enhancement on. If someone
marks the name (somewhere) as "Chinese" then it will print in the
order that makes correct sense. It would require extra programming. I
would bet that something like this might work for Spanish names, too,
if they are interested in an enhancement, too.

I would offer the suggestion that you use AKAs in the order that
places Chan as the Surname. This way, when you do an Index, if you are
showing AKAs and regular names, you will see the brothers listed
together, or you can find your husband where you expect to see him
listed. So for now, enter the names where the reports will print
correctly (so his given name as the surname), but do the AKAs where it
is the TRUE form of your husband's and others' names. Another option
is to put the generation name and the given name together in the
surname field, so then they sort by generation name. And lastly, even
if you put "Chan" in to the given name field, be sure to put the given
name in the quotes (as another poster mentioned).

Susan Daily