Hi June,

"With regard to census reports – many many of my families are large and when I find them on the 1841 census (for example) I enter the information on everyone’s file, then when I come to 1851, 1861 etc I do the same so obviously there is a lot of duplication if I do a book report."

I put the transcription of a census entry into the source, so it only prints once at the end of the report.

For each individual in the household, I enter the place, date and their age & occupation (if there is one), so there is a sentence explaining how they appeared there. I use the Source Clipboard to copy from one person's event to the next person's, so the source information remains identical (so no duplication in the source printing at the end of the report). Or you could use the Event Clipboard to copy from one person to the next, and alter the personal information in each event, keeping the source info the same.

For example, an excerpt from an individual report on one of my great-great-grandfathers...

Individual Report for William Boynton Ireland
Name: William Boynton Ireland
Sex: M
Individual Information
Birth: c. 1848 (1)
Christening: 30 Apr 1848 - Langtoft, Yorkshire, England (2)
Death: 23 Oct 1930 - New Plymouth, New Zealand (3)
Burial: 25 Oct 1930 - New Plymouth, New Zealand (3)
Cause of Death:
Events
1. He appeared on the census in 1851 in Langtoft, Yorkshire, England as a
3-year-old. (4)

<snip>

Source Citations

<snip>

4. The National Archives of the UK (TNA) (via Ancestry.com), Census Returns of
England and Wales, 1851, HO107/2366 folio 602 page 26. Parish / Village of
Langtoft
Household Schedule #105
Back St (Buck St?)

Robert Irland, Head, Married, 36yo, Blacksmith, YKS North Burton
Elizabeth Irland, Wife, Married, 34yo, , YKS Bempton
Francis G Irland, Son, , 13yo, Scholar, YKS Kilham
John A Irland, Son, , 9yo, Scholar, YKS Langtoft
Sarah A Irland, Daughter, , 6yo, Scholar, YKS Langtoft
William B Irland, Son, , 3yo, , YKS Langtoft
Thomas L Irland, Son, , 9mo, , YKS Langtoft
George Bulter, Lodger, , 28yo, Farm Labour, YKS Howden
Ann Dailes, Lodger, , 27yo, Servant, YKS Beverley.

If I were to produce a family report based on his parents, each person mentioned in the household (with the exception of the lodgers, who were not family as far as I know) will have a sentence similar to William's, eg the father's would say he was a 36-year-old blacksmith, and so on. The basic information is there under the person's name, and the full details are at the end of the report if a person is interested - just the once.

That's how I do it - these days, anyway. I've been through a few permutations before I came to this method from reading this list and following someone else's ideas, and haven't yet gone back and updated earlier entries but intend to one day.

Hope this helps. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--