Once a week I encrypt a copy of my family file and email it to myself at Gmail. I also backup my entire Legacy folder (under C-drive) to two external hard-drives and Mozy. I don't bother with renaming the backup each time I back it up at Legacy. Too much work.

JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

Barbara Ford wrote:
Thanks to all. I guess the question may have been basic, but the
answers are not so basic and are all good suggestions. I do have a
better understanding now. The main new thought for me was not to
overwrite the file every time.

I do back up in several ways. I backup to two different external hard
drives, and to a flash drive. In addition, I backup all my entire hard
drive periodically. So, I do feel it's important to backup in several
ways. Hadn't thought of the advantages of not overwriting, though.