Does the middle name get picked up as the usage name for narratives if it
isn't repeated? It seems silly (as in my example below) to write:
George Calvin "Calvin" Gilmore

Does it work if you just write:
George "Calvin" Gilmore

Doesn't the latter imply that Calvin is a nickname, rather than a middle
name in general usage?

Janis Walker Gilmore