Wikipedia explains: The City of Washington was originally a separate municipality within the Territory of Columbia until an <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Organic_Act_of_1871>act of Congress in 1871 effectively merged the City and the Territory into a single entity called the District of Columbia. It is for this reason that the city, while legally named the District of Columbia, is known as Washington, D.C. Based on this you would enter Washington District of Columbia as the City with no county or state and USA as the Country. However, I think I would use Washington as the city, District of Columbia as the County or State and USA as the Country.

AniMap Sitefind states Washington as the City, District of Columbia as the County and DC as the State but I don't think that's any legal description, just an easy way to find it.

I believe the Geo Locator in Legacy states: Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, USA (or maybe this is something I inadvertently added)

For short location I have entered:   Washington, DC.

Cathy Vallevieni
Orange County, CA