  From: Cathy Vallevieni
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:38 AM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Washington D.C.

  Wikipedia explains:  The City of Washington was originally a separate
municipality within the Territory of Columbia until an act of Congress in 1871
effectively merged the City and the Territory into a single entity called the
District of Columbia. It is for this reason that the city, while legally named
the District of Columbia, is known as Washington, D.C.   Based on this you
would enter Washington District of Columbia as the City with no county or state
and USA as the Country.  However, I think I would use Washington as the city,
District of Columbia as the County or State and USA as the Country.

  AniMap Sitefind states Washington as the City, District of Columbia as the
County and DC as the State but I don't think that's any legal description, just
an easy way to find it.

  I believe the Geo Locator in Legacy states:   Washington, District of
Columbia, District of Columbia, USA (or maybe this is something I inadvertently
added)

  For short location I have entered:   Washington, DC.

  Cathy Vallevieni
  Orange County, CA