I guess it *is* an advertising hook for Ancestry non-members, but I have a
membership in Ancestry (US only) and those annoying hints can sometimes be
helpful, too. I connected with another relative who has a lovely
well-documented tree with many photos out there on Ancestry, because I clicked
on a promising hint.

I doubt that I would have researched all the trees on Ancestry, looking for a
match, on my own. At least not right now, maybe later on in my research.

Quoting the OP to get this thread back on-topic:

"My question is once you put your data on ancestry, do you do your research
there or do you continue with Legacy?  I'm more comfortable with Legacy but it
means when I find something, I have to enter it in Legacy and again in
ancestry.  How do other do this?"

I am both a new Legacy user and new Ancestry member. I did put my Legacy db out
there on Ancestry -- I do lots of my research thru Ancestry, and I use the
'shoebox' feature on Ancestry to save possible research paths as well as
documents I want to print and examine later on.  To avoid double-entry, I enter
all my new, documented finds *only* on my Legacy database. I let the Ancestry
one slide. The features there are cool, but I want my up-to-the-minute "good
stuff" on my own PC, in Legacy.

I did consider simply uploading a new Legacy GEDCOM to Ancestry periodically,
in order to keep the Ancestry file updated, but if you have attached photos or
links to sources on the Ancestry file, they will be lost if you replace your
original file. That's why there are so many seemingly-duplicated family trees
on Ancestry. People keep uploading newer GEDCOMS and don't delete their older
files.

The real downer for me is when I see a really good hint and it turns out to be
pointing to my OWN tree!

Marilyn