Bill,

I have over 10,000 images linked to events and persons in my Legacy database
and in over 5 years Legacy has only crashed once, and that was several years
ago.
There are tools available from third parties such as LTools which can help you
batch process many records. You might want to contact Dennis at LTools directly
if you have some very specific tasks.  $50 saved me from entering and linking
over 3000 items (which probably would have taken a month to do if I had to key
it)

When you get an error message, jot down the # and refer to the Legacy support
page online.

You should probably get your computer checked out, it probably needs some
upgrading.  (and a side note....why was Legacy trying to look for your image in
a E: drive ?  (which is usually a disk drive) Your data (images) should be
stored on the same drive as Legacy if possible, and always on a hard drive and
not a disk drive.
Sounds like you have a conflict with some other program that is trying to
control/manage your images.

I hope things work out for you.
Jay