Ward Walker wrote
After the 'Comments about this master source' have been surreptitiously copied to the 'Comments' field, can you manually clear the Comments field, as a workaround?

No!  Deleting text from one place deletes it in the other.

It's all a bit odd: I now see that the grey "hint text" in the "Comments" field is shown in black in the "Master Source Comments" field. If I click in the "Comments" field and enter text, it appears black and left aligned, but if I go into "Master Source Comments", delete the "hint text" and type my own, that then appears in the "Comments field" in grey and centred.
--
Jenny M Benson