Sherry, Robert,

It doesn't matter (when using Word anyway) when you create the Index in Word. I
do this all the time with the books I create (The Legacy Family), especially my
new book (The Legacy Handbook). Yes Word pushes things about, but if you've
already included an Index, when you add to your book, simply navigate to the
index and right-click any item (it doesn't matter which one) and select the
option to Update Field. Easy.

Kind Regards
Mark Lang