I just consulted with an owner of an iPad 3 this morning about taking
notes.

He uses his *iPad 3 *with the *Apple blue tooth keyboard* for note taking
in the field all the time.   He said the touch screen keyboard is good but
not what he likes as a fast typist.  He also tried using a program on the
iPad 3 that converts stylus-writing to text.  He said he could type faster
than writing with the "large crayon stylus".  He says the loves the
keyboard.  The keyboard looks like it is about the same size as the iPad
and very portable.

He also has an older iPhone.  He says the iPad 3 looks and behaves just
like the iPhone, only much faster and better screen than his old iPhone.