I like the sound of the one folder method too. Why complicate things?
The only reason I can think of is that I want to make it understandable
to my non-techie family and likely inheritors. And I also want to be
able to easily find batches of specific files.

Windows Explorer is a pretty sad excuse for search though. For instance
if I search 'Harris' it will bring up everything keyword tagged Harris
but also every folder with the name Harris in it and every location that
has Harris in it. No subtlety there at all and it only recognizes a few
of the many IPTC fields. And, being Windows, of course names them
differently than the accepted standard.

For tagging and searching, there's the free GeoSetter (location data and
GPS as well as all the range of IPTC tags; keywords, captions, object
name (where I put type of records) source, copyright and much more.
http://www.geosetter.de/en/

Or XnView. http://www.xnview.com/

Photo Mechanic is also very good but costs about $150.
http://www.camerabits.com/site/

Anything that does batch tagging and detailed search (all of the
above-mentioned) is a real boon when you're dealing with thousands of files.

Adobe does some gawd awful things with metadata which I've mostly
forgotten now because I moved away from using it a long time ago. One
thing I do remember is that it strips out all maker notes.
-----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/