Hi Bob,

The change with Legacy 8 is that the program itself is installed to
Program Files.

A folder is created in My Documents called Legacy Family Tree.

In that folder is a folder called _AppData. This folder contains all
your settings. You cannot place this folder anywhere else. If you
move it, it will be recreated when you open Legacy next and you will
have lost your specific settings and be back with the defaults.

In that folder (Documents/Legacy Family Tree) is also a folder for
Data and a folder for Media populated with the Sample File and the
Sample File pictures.

You can use these folders for your own data or put your own data
wherever you like.

If you know you have good backups of your Legacy 7 data and you are
happy with where the Legacy 7 data is, you can convert the files
where they are. You can't go back from Legacy 8 so without a good
backup, you can't still use Legacy 7 for that report you must have
today but find there is a bug in Legacy 8.

I wouldn't convert files where they are but I'm a belt and braces
person when it comes to important data.

Most likely wherever the converted file is you'll find your media is
still all linked.

If you want your data somewhere other than where your Legacy 7 data
is or the new default location THEN you need to open Legacy 8 with
the Sample file and change the Default Location for data in the
options - customise 6.1 BEFORE asking to open your own file(s).

Legacy 8 will offer to copy it to the Default Data Location -
whatever is listed in 6.1 and convert it there.  Note that all the
Options - Customise settings now have a number.

Some people find that some or all of the media is not still linked.
This is because over the years the exact way the link has been saved
has changed and if you've never shifted the media, Legacy has been
very accommodating. The programmers realised that by being so
accommodating, they were sometimes linking to a different photo of
the same name so have made changes to ensure this doesn't happen.  If
some or all of your media isn't linked after the conversion, using
the Media Relinker Tool is the easiest way to go.

Those reading this who have been using the old Legacy defaults of
C:\Legacy\Data ad C:\Legacy\Pictures etc would be wise to let Legacy
8 help you move to the new defaults with the conversion open to copy
the file to the new default and then convert - and the Gather my
Media Tool to copy your media if you're not confident with using
Windows/File Explorer to move files around.

Does that clarify at all?
Cathy