From: Ron Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:22 AM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Prepositions for locations- Family View and Family
Group Records ?

There is a field in the tblLR (Master Locations Table) called Preposition which
can be set and used in reports as you described.  There is also a file
C:\...Documents\Legacy Family Tree\_AppData\Misc\Preposition_English.lst which
is used by the Master Locations List to sort locations.  It does it by removing
the words in that file from the location, putting it on the end of the location
name, then sorting the list so that all locations that are the same will
display next to each other and the preposition tacked onto the end.  That is
helpful.  Some of the entries in that list are not actually prepositions.  In
fact,  some of the entries are multiple words.  I think a better term for them
would be location modifiers instead of prepositions.

What would be great but would require some extensive re-writing would be to
have an actual database table of location modifiers.  That table could come
into play as a pull down list (similar to Child Status, Event Type, Surname
List, etc.) where you can select the location modifier to be applied to a
specific location field.  That would mean that a location modifier key field be
inserted into every table where a link to the tblLR is used.  The preposition
field that is in tblLR would only be used for reports when the location
modifier is blank.  The main effect that a location modifier table would have
is eliminating multiple instances of the same location name as the current
method allows.  Here is an example of a location in the current Master Location
List that has multiple entries because of prepositions:

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, from
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, near
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, of
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, of>
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, probably
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah>

The above display is achieved by checking the two boxes at the bottom of Sort
Location List called "Remove common prepositions from locations" and "Remove
leading bracket from <bracketed> locations" and then executing the sort.

Notice that the words found in the text file Preposition_English.lst were
re-positioned to the end of the location before the sort.  Likewise, the
bracketed locations had the leading bracket removed before the sort but the
trailing bracket was retained so it would display.  In either case, you can
click "Edit" to see the actual long or short location with the preposition
words where they really are stored in the field.

Also, note that I added "probably" to the Preposition_English.lst file (as well
as a few other words) so that it would treated like other prepositions.

If there was only one instance of Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah in the Master
Locations Table, as well as all other locations, then it would be much easier
to manage and maintain.  The only thing that would be needed then is a time
sensitive lookup for location.  Or even better, a conversion of any current
location to its time sensitive name.
Ron Taylor

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:32 AM, "johnbernac...@iprimus.com.au"