Hi Anne,

Well you found an option in Legacy that I didn't know existed. options
for non-sources. That doesn't happen very often ;-)

It sounds like you'll have to do them one by one though it may be easier
if you used the copy to general notes option in the non-sources options
and did it from there so you weren't constantly going back to the
assigned sources page - but what is easier depends on whether you have
notes for these people. The census and military sources would remain
sources for the name. I don't think a move or copy to the event notes
works unless the source is already attached to that event.

I'd be using Show List for the Master Source and then tagging those that
use it and working through the tagged group.
This can be done most efficiently EITHER by working in a Search list
based on the tag (or the master source) OR by using the Individual Tag
box at the bottom right of the screen, setting this to the right tag
number and using the arrows to scroll from one person to the next.

The events will still need a source.

Perhaps these are in sources because the program you were previously
using didn't have a place for specific events - or perhaps in those days
you just saw a census as a source as some still do - in which case you'd
enter at least a residence event with the census as the source so that
it shows in a person's timeline/chronology.

I enter the census as an event as well as a source as the residence may
be the same for a number of different censuses and also have a number of
other sources. I want to be able to look at the Event list and see very
easily whether I've found someone in every relevant census.

To do this fully is a huge job, especially if you haven't transcribed
the census data or included the actual census reference - but you may at
least in the first instant be happy without that much detail. I put a
transcript in the head of household event notes as well as the Source
Detail Text. I'm in the process of updating some of my census sources as
when I found them I didn't really understand the reference - and
generally the information was coming from a transcript rather than the
image.

Note that copying the source to either event notes or general notes only
takes the parts checked for printing. So if source detail text and
comments aren't checked, they're not copied.

Sorry it could be a long job but tagging helps you to do it in
manageable bits or when you feel like it as you untag each person when
you've processed them.
If you use the tag box at the bottom right to cycle through the people,
you may want to go to Options - Customise 12.5 and turn off the message
telling you that you're at the end (or beginning) of a tag list and need
to go to the beginning (or end).

Cathy