Thank you Cathy, your suggestions are all very good.
As I understand it, I will have to enter each new event one by one,
transferring the information from its position in sources. I have the census
transcriptions in source detail, and I think I'll be able to copy them via the
non-source options to event notes, once I make an event. You're suggesting I
have them in both places, I think.
I will have a long slog.  I've also never used tags before so I'm going to
postpone the actual clean-up project until I learn all about the program tags
and clipboard usage, and make sure I have my sources in the correct format.
Thanks so much, and if you later find some magic universal transfer button, let
me know......Anne