From: M Sandvig
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:57 AM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Ethnicity

I changed 'christening' to 'Tribe'.

On Oct 12, 2014 2:07 PM, "fersken" <fers...@verizon.net> wrote:

  Since the emergence of the Origin’s Report, I have been considering the
difference between place of birth and ethnicity.  I have Montaukett Indian
ancestry in my background but on the Origin’s report, the only thing they
represent is U.S.  The Montaukett or Montauk people are a Native American tribe
of Algonquian-speaking people from the eastern end of Long Island, New York.
I have in my direct ancestry a chief of the Montaukett named Wyandanch.  In the
the second half of the 1650s, Wyandanch had acquired enough power and influence
to be considered the main "alliance chief" on a Long Island by the colonists.
My Origin’s Report  shows United States and I began to wonder if Legacy 8.0 had
any way of showing ethnicity?  I could find nothing on the subject.  In this
21st century in the United States, there are many who are of mixed ethnicities.
 While I understand the problematic concept of setting up a column to show
ethnicity and the possibility of offending some people, I wonder if there isn’t
some way to include race if the researcher wanted to.   The census officially
recognizes six ethnic and racial categories: White American, Native American
and Alaska Native, Asian American, African American, Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander, and people of two or more races; a race called "Some other
race" is also used in the census and other surveys, but is not official.  The
United States Census Bureau also classifies Americans as "Hispanic or Latino"
and "Not Hispanic or Latino", which identifies Hispanic and Latino Americans as
a racially diverse ethnicity that composes the largest minority group in the
nation.  Apparently, this concept of including ethnicity rather that place of
origin is too “touchy” for any genealogical software company to touch.  My
question, therefore, is this:  Is there any way I can indicate (other than in
the notes) that some of  my direct ancestors are Native American and not mix
them together as United States?

  Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on
our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).