TIP OF THE DAY - How to backup the _AppData folder (Legacy Staff)

Legacy 8 and 9

Y'all know my backup routine by now but I actually left something out. This
part of the routine will be very important if you ever have to do a "clean
uninstall" which will start you over completely from scratch. You need to
backup your _AppData folder. This folder holds your custom settings. Here is
my complete routine...

1) I check to make sure I have no broken media links
2) I check/repair my file
3) I backup my data and media to cloud storage (I keep my backups on
OneDrive)
4) I backup my _AppData folder and append the name it so that it has the
same date and time stamp as my data and media backups

The file path to the _AppData folder is \Documents\Legacy Family
Tree\_AppData

To backup the _AppData folder simply RIGHT click it and select SEND TO >
COMPRESSED (ZIPPED) FOLDER. The zip file is your backup. You can change the
name of the zip folder.

I keep my 10 more recent backups and I go in and delete the older ones
periodically. I backup my file VERY often, sometimes every day. In 12 years
of using Legacy, I have only needed a backup file twice. One time I had a
hard drive crash and the other time I had made some ill-advised global
changes to my file that I regretted.

Michele Simmons Lewis, CG

Legacy Family Tree

mich...@legacyfamilytree.com <mailto:mich...@legacyfamilytree.com>

www.legacyfamilytree.com <http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/>

Certified Genealogist is a registered trademark and the designation CG is a
service mark of the Board for Certification of GenealogistsR, used under
license by Board certificants who meet competency standards.