From: Tamblyne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LegacyUserGroup@mail.millenniacorp.com" <LegacyUserGroup@mail.millenniacorp.com>
Subject: [LegacyUG] Citing Sources and Getting Them to Print Properly
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:39:11 -0500

Hi --

First let me say that this group is great. I've been doing things the hard way and I've decided that now is the time, while I still have less than 3,000 peeps in my database, to start from scratch with a new database utilizing all the tricks I've learned here. I just figure it will be faster and easier than trying to find what should be changed, and who knows -- I might find something I missed in the past.

Rather than learning how to do it right the first time, I originally used a lot of "hokey pokey" to get my source citations to print according to the guidelines in Elizabeth Shown Mills book "Evidence!", including creating a master source for every item which, as you can imagine, has become so unwieldy as to be practically useless.

So, I've been reading through the "Tips" on source citation and my question relates specifically to citing obits (http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/SourceObituary.asp), but it really could relate to any source citation in Legacy.

I followed the steps given, and it does seem easier, more practical, and a better utilization of the resources provided by the program. But the output does not conform to the "Evidence!" recommendations (which is why I invented my own flawed process to begin with).

The book states the citation should read (italics omitted, of course):

Jane Smith obituary, The Small Town Times, Podunk, Anystate, 1 January 2000, page 1, column 1.

The output I get following the "Tips" instructions is:

The Small Town Times (Podunk, Anystate), Jane Smith obituary, 1 January 2000, page 1 column 1.

There are similar problems with the other "Tips" given for source citations.

So I'm wondering if (1) the output set forth in "Evidence!" is only suggested, and as long as all the info is there, the actual format is irrelevant? and (2) am I missing something in trying to get this to print according to "the book?" I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

I know, I talk too much. But I'd really like to get this right *this* time, while my squeaky clean database has only two beautifully documented people in it. :-)

TIA -- you guys rock --

Tam

Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters! http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

Enter the drawing for a FREE Legacy Cruise to Alaska or a FREE research trip to
Salt Lake's Family History Library. Open to users of Legacy 6 Deluxe. Enter
online at http://legacyfamilytree.com/FreeTrip.asp

http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup%40mail.millenniacorp.com/

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Help.asp