On 23 November 2010 13:04, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:

> As always, the standard reality check applies: if you believe that maps or
> the
> data they represent are not covered by copyright, please start large-scale
> photocopying of some commercial maps, or copying the information from them
> into
> another format that you then publish.

See that's where you are confusing maps representation and the underlying
data. If I was to start a large scale photocopying of some commercial maps,
I would infringe copyrights of the printed map. This doesn't infringe on any
possible underlying rights since you are stopping at the map itself. This
doesn't imply anything on the underlying data.
You are voluntarily confusing the topic and this argument is definitely not
a valid one.
Whether you think it is wise or not that countries are passing database
laws, they are becoming a reality and more and more countries are adopting
them. Should we ignore reality in the end? While it may be comforting to be
think that we are protected by the current licence and enough community
pressure, there will always be a time when a company will ignore that.
In terms of debate, there are three major sides: PD people (and to some
extent attribution people), SA people, people who don't care as long as the
data is open and free. The reaction of the three sides would be interesting
if a company would violate the current licence.
Since we are here, can I ask you two questions on pure licensing? The answer
needs to be short else, it will be drowned in words to hide the true belief
you have.
1) In which camp are you?
2) Do you believe that CC-BY-SA would protect the project legally?

To be strictly fair, I will answer to the questions first.
1) I am in the camp of those who don't care as long as the data is open and
free. (You can see my reasons on the wiki page when I ran for the
foundation).
2) I don't believe that CC-BY-SA would protect the project legally

Regarding 1), I am pragmatist, and people initially have chosen a share
alike licence and therefore it would be very difficult to switch to a PD or
an attribution licence. In any case, I don't particularly care but I will
respect the spirit of the initial licence (i.e. SA).

Emilie Laffray