On 17 April 2011 15:17, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The point still stands. Granting rights to a central body (but not
> your copyright--you still retain that) is not unheard of in open
> communities.

They also aren't generally the most popular, just like BSD lags behind
Linux, which could be due to the strong sharing clauses of the
license.

> I personally have not used the reason you state to promote OSM over

Neither have I, but others have as comments to that extent were on the wiki.

> GMM. I have always emphasized in my outreach that you can use OSM data
> in more ways than GMM's data (such as using OSM data to create Garmin
> maps--Garmin is the most popular PND brand in my country).

That's hardly a reason, if GMM was published for personal use someone
is bound to be able to convert it to garmin format just like others
created tools to use OSM data on Garmin devices.

> I understand though that some may have used the "no central body" as a
> promotional banner, but that is a really poor method since the FSF and
> ASF has had copyright assignment and rights grants respectively for a
> long time now.

The FSF have 20 years of not only expressing strong opinions about
moral aspects of licensing, but they have stuck to their guns,
something that the OSM-F hasn't done, SteveC states at various times
in the past he will only support share a like licenses, yet the ODBL
and CT both weaken this stance considerably.