Simon Poole <simon@...> writes:

>In summary I don't quite see how the report changes anything, summarized
>it states:
>
>a) maps are copyrightable in the US (not that we didn't know that)
>b) online maps are copyrightable in the US (we assumed that too)
>c) you could make a case that the underlying data of an online map is
>copyrightable (which we assume to some point for style files and
>similar... for the actually geographic data it is probably just speculation)

I think it's rather stronger than "you could make a case".  While the report is
couched in conservative lawyer-speak, my understanding from speaking to the two
attorneys is that it's pretty clear: the underlying data of the map falls within
copyright.  If you like, I could send you the full report which addresses OSM
and the ODbL specifically?

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>