Am 21.12.2011 14:15, schrieb Ed Avis:
Simon Poole<simon@...>  writes:

If you take an existing tainted way and move it they way is still going
to go, so what is your point again?
Are we not talking about the following situation:

    - mapper A (who has agreed to the CTs) creates a way
    - mapper B (who has not agreed) adjusts the way's geometry, creating
      some new nodes
    - mapper C (who has agreed) adjusts the position of those nodes

In this case the third edit would have to be reverted because the new position
of the nodes is still based on work contributed by mapper B, even though they
have been moved since he created them.

IMHO no, if we assume that C is editing in good faith and actually improving the geometry (we might want to have a minimum distance requirement for a move to be considered ok).

You are using derived in a common language sense, please argue why this
is a derived work in the IP/legal sense (choose any jurisdiction you
would like).
That is a question for lawyers.  I do not know whether it is a derived work
under
copyright law or sui generis database rights.  Normally the approach of the
project is to not import data from sources that do not have permission, and if
it
gets into the database, to delete it (reverting the changeset) as soon as
possible.  We don't get into the business of judging whether we might get away
with including it anyway, because we are not lawyers.  So we have to use the
common-sense judgement of whether one piece of work builds on another.

In general we have assumed that for example tracing from aerial imagery and similar sources does not create a derived work in which the creator of the imagery has rights (not that I necessarily agree with that). The requirement has always been that we have had permission to trace at the point in time that the tracing happened (forgetting about special cases like NearMap) . The argument of the proponents that IP exists at all in ways and similar objects has been that the tracing (regardless of source) was an expression of creativity and that that expresses itself in, among other properties, the placement of nodes where it is found aesthetically pleasing.

So why is one a derived work and the other not?

Simon