Am 21.12.2011 14:50, schrieb Ed Avis:
Simon Poole<simon@...>  writes:

In general we have assumed that for example tracing from aerial imagery
and similar sources does not create a derived work in which the creator
of the imagery has rights (not that I necessarily agree with that). The
requirement has always been that we have had permission to trace at the
point in time that the tracing happened
Right - we require permission.  So for example tracing from Google Maps is not
allowed, even if the legal theory about not creating a derived work turns out
to be correct.

I contend that mappers' contributions would need to be treated no different to
any other external data source.  If we have permission, we can use them, if not,
we can't.  If one mapper illegitimately adjusted the position of a way by
using Google Earth as a backdrop, but then a second mapper moved the position
of the nodes some more, normal OSM practice would still be to delete the tainted
data.

So you contend that there was no permission to use positional information entered in the DB by other mappers to interpolate prior to the current CTs (obviously this is not covered by CC-by-SA 2.0)?

Simon